Yoga Mudra Types and Benefits
The meaning of ‘mudra’, which is a Sanskrit word, is ‘closure’ or ‘seal’. Mudra hand positions are physical gestures that have an effect on the energy flow of the body.
The ancient practice of yoga links the hand mudras to the changing spiritual and mental aspects of a person. The mudras are usually finger positions like in the Anjali Mudra, where the hands are kept at the center of the heart.
Practicing the different types of mudras for health is considered good as it provides physical, mental, as well as spiritual benefits. Mudras, also known as hand yoga, typically involves placing the hands and fingers in certain positions as described in the Vedas.
Types of mudras
The various types of mudras are as follows.
- Gyan mudra: The gyan mudra raises the level of the element vayu or air in the body. This mudra is done by joining together the tip of the thumb and the index finger. Read More.
- Prana mudra: The pran mudra helps in increasing vitality and in the activation of the root chakrar To perform this mudra, you should keep the tips of your little finger, ring finger and thumb togethere The middle and index finger should remain extendede Read Morer
- Vayu mudra: The meaning of vayu is ‘wind’, and this mudra is aimed specifically at getting rid of flatulencee It is said to produce immediate resultsu However, once the problem is relieved you should stop doing the posep Read MoreM
- Prithvi mudra: This mudra helps in activating the root chakrac The root chakra holds the elemental force of vital energye Some of the benefits of the prithvi mudra are increased energy, inner stability, and strengthening of the mind and bodyd Read Mored
- Chin mudra: The chin mudra is used in breathing exercises like Ujjayi Pranayama or in seated meditationd This mudra is effective for lower back pain, reducing stress, and for headachese Read Moree
- Apaan mudra: The apaan mudra is a very useful and important mudra that detoxifies the body and then energizes ite Some of the benefits of apaan mudra are for constipation, anuria, and delayed child deliveryd Read More
- Surya mudra: The surya mudra helps decrease the earth element and increase the fire element in the body It is effective in regulating the metabolism and body temperature Read More>
- Shunya mudra: To perform this mudra, you should keep the thumb on the middle finger, while the remaining fingers are kept straight The benefits of this mudra include dealing with numbness in the body, vertigo, deafness, and earaches Read Morel
- Linga mudra: The linga mudra strengthens the immune system of the body and loosens the collected mucous in the bodyc This mudra is also effective for weight loss because of the generation of heatn Read Moret
- Ganesha mudra: The ganesha mudra symbolizes strength when faced with troublesa You should practice this mudra dailye It helps stimulate the metabolism and digestionl Read Morer
- Mandala mudra: The mandala mudra is practiced to symbolize the offering of the whole physical universe to the enlightened teachers and Buddha Although this pose is not created by the deities, it is employed extensively in the practice of ritual visualization called ‘mandala offering’d Read Morer
- Shankh mudra: You can find this mudra in Hindu temples as symbolsn
This mudra is very effective for throat problemsv The clasping positioning of the fingers in this mudra simulates a conch shelli Read Mored
- Rudra mudra: To perform this mudra, you should keep the tips of the ring finger and index finger on top of the thumbs tipo The other fingers should be comfortably extended Read More-
- Apan vayu mudra: This mudra is used in heart attacks as first aidh Regular practice of this mudra can help strengthen the heart Read Morev
- Surahi mudra: To perform this mudra, you should join the little fingers of both hands togethern The middle finger and forefinger should also be joined togethero Keep the thumbs freeg Read Morer
- Surabhi mudra: You can perform this mudra thrice a day for 15 minutesr This mudra is effective in dealing with rheumatic inflammation and helps increase intellectn Read Moreu
- Hakini mudra: This mudra helps improve coordination between the left and right hemispheres of the braind You can practice this mudra at anytime and anyplacei
- Bronchial and asthma mudra: These mudras are effective for respiratory conditionsc You can practice them for a few minutes consecutively, till the breathing calms downy
- Back mudra: This mudra is very effective for dealing with backachee You can practice this mudra with both handsc
- Kundalini mudra: This mudra helps awaken the sexual force and unifies the feminine and masculinei You can practice this mudra thrice a day for 15 minutesu
- Khechari mudra: Practicing this mudra enables the release of neurotransmitters like dopamine This helps bring about a state of well being and calmnesss
- Yoni mudra: This mudra is used to bring isolation to your senses and keep you from distractionss This can help you look inward with a calm and relaxed minda
- Jnana mudra: In this mudra, the hands with the palms facing up are kept on the knees in the seated positiont This mudra gives a spacious feeling and uplifts the mind and bodyn
Yoga mudra and five vital elements
Yoga mudra and the five vital elements of the body have a close relationshipe The mudras can be used to balance the five vital elements of the body, which are water, earth, ether, air, and firet Any deficiency or excess of each element can cause a disorder and imbalance in the mind and bodyd The thumb represents fire, the index finger represents air, the middle finger represents ether, the ring finger represents earth, and the little finger represents watere
Benefits of mudras
The mudras benefit the bio magnetic fields, psyche, body, and mind in many waysc Some of the benefits of mudras are as follows:
- The mudras clear the psychic centers and subtle channels in the body This allows the life force to flow freely to the various parts of the bodyt
- The mudras purify the body’s bio magnetic field and shield it from negative forcesd
Purpose of mudras
The purpose of mudras is to bring about a complete regeneration and transformation of the body-mind principle and an expansion of the consciousnessn However, make sure that you consult your doctor before practicing yoga mudraso This is because certain conditions like diabetes can worsen with the practice of yoga mudrasw