Yoga Exercises for Neck
A lot of folks retain stress and tension in their necks, backs and shoulders. Over time, this leads to stiffness, bad posture and tension headaches. We, literally bear the world’s burdens on our shoulders.
This plus something the size and weight of a football on top of our necks. Little wonder then, that we get a little stiff and sore from time to time.
Our neck and shoulders carry a lot of physical strain and misuse.
Imagine having to bob, hunch, jerk, lift, nod, and strain and turn this way and that, all daylong. As a matter of fact, trouble with the neck and shoulders are among the most widespread grievances. If you do these five Yoga neck exercises you will see a lot of immediate results. First of all, they ease tension, improve flexibility and tone up your stiff muscles.
These exercises, however, should be done slowly with the spine kept erect. The neck should relax and both shoulders should face forward. It is very important to remain relaxed with the back, neck and head in a straight line. Or else you won’t derive the maximum benefits of these exercises.
- Drop the head forward, chin to chest, and then return to original position. – Do this 5-6 times
- Drop the head back, and then return to the original position – Do this 5-6 times
- Drop the head to the right, and then return to the original position. – Do this 5-6 times
- Turn the head to the right, and then return to the original position. – Do this 5-6 times
- Rotate the head from chin on chest; move from right to the top to left and down. Then turn from left to right, in the opposite direction. – Do this 5-6 times in either direction
Benefits of neck exercises
- They increase vitality, lead improve sleep, vision and hearing
- The help check headaches. This is because the nerves and blood vessels in the neck going to the head and brain get proper exercise.