Before we talk about quadriceps stretches, it is important to understand for you to understand more about the quadriceps muscles. The quadriceps comprise a group of four muscles that reside in the front of the thigh. These muscles are the vastus medialis, intermedius, lateralis and rectus femoris.
The last muscle is the largest. The other three muscles allow you to move the leg at the knee joint and the last muscle mentioned helps to move the leg up at the hip joint.
Quadricep stretches are those stretches that stretch the quadriceps muscles. There are different types of quadriceps stretches, depending on their focus and the muscles involved.
A quad stretch will help you to strengthen the quadriceps muscles and also help to prevent cramping and aches that often develop with exercise. Stretching exercises are the best way to increase blood circulation to various parts of the body. Practicing quad stretches regularly will help you to stay fit.
Quadricep Stretches For Back Pain
Muscular problems with the quadriceps can also contribute to back pain. Doing quadriceps stretches for back pain can help you deal with this problem to some extent. The Standing Quadriceps stretch is recommended for alleviating the symptoms of back pain.
As one grows older it is difficult to exercise and follow any exercise regimen. One way to combat this is by doing quadriceps stretches for seniors. These stretches are designed to increase the flexibility and strength of the legs and should only take about ten minutes each day.
Here are the steps you need to follow:-
- Lie on your left side on the floor. Ensure your body is in a flat position.
- Hold your right ankle with your right hand and bring it to the level of your buttocks.
- Ensure that your right leg and right ankle is near your hip but not touching it.
- This will make you feel a slight stretch in the front area of your left leg.
- Hold your ankle in this position for about 30 seconds and then repeat the procedure on the other side of your body.
- Do this exercise 10 times.
The quadriceps muscles are a group of hardworking, complex and powerful muscles that are used in almost any sport. If the muscles and tendons of the quadriceps are too tight, it can affect the health and stability of the hip, knee and spine. Regular practice of quadriceps stretching exercises helps to ensure balanced muscle tension at the joints and prevents injury to these muscles.
The quadriceps stretches in yoga comprise of the Yoga Rocking Horse Stretch. This is an advanced stretch that targets the quadriceps from both ends.
Types of Quadriceps Stretches
Standing Quadricep Stretch:
It is just one of the many types of quadriceps stretches.
- You will need to stand tall with your feet and hips some distance apart.
- Then relax your shoulders and pull your abdomen in.
- Bend your left leg and bring your heel towards your buttocks.
- Hold your left foot with your right hand.
- You may also grasp your left foot with your left hand if you are unable to do so, with your right hand.
- You will then feel a mild pull spread through the front of your leg.
- Switch legs and repeat the stretch.
- If you have trouble balancing, hold onto a chair or the wall.
Sidelying Quadricep Stretch:
It can beperformed in the following way.
- Lie down on your left side ensuring that that you stack the shoulders and hips over one another.
- Do not let your lower back arch or your body roll backwards.
- Bend your right knee and bring the right heel towards your buttocks.
- Keep your knees together. Hold onto your right foot and squeeze the heel towards you.
- Hold this position for five to ten deep breaths.
- Release slowly and repeat with the other side.
Prone Quadricep Stretch:
It is very much like the standing quadriceps stretch.
- Lie face down on the floor on a mat. Bend your leg towards your buttocks and hold your foot with your hand.
- Keep your head down, your neck relaxed and ensure that your hips are touching the floor.
- Hold this stretch for 10-12 seconds and then return to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
Advanced Quadricep Stretches :
You can also do a quad stretch in the lunge position.
- Put your right foot about three feet in front of your left foot.
- Your weight should be supported by your right leg.
- Your left leg will be free for the stretch then.
- Roll on to the toes of your left foot ,bend your left knee and lower your body until you feel the stretch.
Quadricep Stretches : Do's & Don’ts
- Stretching your muscles when you have warmed up.
- Do breathe deeply through all the stretches
- Do not stretch when the muscles are cold.
- Do not push your body to do more than it can.
Quadricep Stretches Benefits
- The benefits of quadriceps stretches are reduced stress, improved circulation and increased flexibility